Open 10am - 4pm, Saturdays, Sundays & Bank Holidays
[Charity no. 1078747, Company no. 03589046]
Built in 1822 by Robert King, Moulton Mill has been fully restored to a fully operational wind-driven windmill producing flour. The original sails were destroyed during a storm in 1894, and the mill stood without sails for over 100 years. Following the retirment of the last miller, J T Biggadike, and the subsequent sale of the mill, a number of local residents got together, and in 1998 formed a group -the Friends of Moulton Mill - to raise funds with the intention of restoring the mill. A company - Moulton Windmill Project Ltd (MWP) - was also formed and registered as a charity. All members of the Friends and those holding office in the company are unpaid volunteers. During the course of restoration, a tea room - the Granary Tea Room - was built in the old granary (opened to the public in 2005), a reefing gallery was fitted (2008), and the sails were finally attached in 2011. In 2013, flour was milled by wind for the first time in over 100 years.
All funding to support and maintain the mill now comes from the efforts of the volunteers by way of providing refreshments in the tea room, and guided tours to the top of the mill. Your patronage is therefore essential to the mill future. MWP holds a 200 year lease on the mill, commenced on 14th september 2001.